We just barely got home tonight and I'm happy to report that everything went great for Katy's surgery! They removed her lens from her eye (including the cataract) and replaced it with a synthetic lens. They gassed her before they put the IV in, and they gave her some "happy meds" before they took her back for surgery. So basically she doesn't even know she had surgery! We stayed overnight and then brought her back for a check-up today. They said it all looks good. She has to wear a metal cover over her eye for one week. Then they're going to remove that and get her fitted for some glasses. I know she'll be adorable, but I hope she doesn't hate them.
We capped off the day with a trip to the zoo and she just loved it! We didn't get into town until 8pm and then had to wait around at the pharmacy so we're exhausted. Katy's favorite animals there were the new baby elephant and giraffe, and the jaguar...probably because Go Diego Go has a pet jaguar. My Dad met us at the zoo and we had such a great time. You would never guess Katy just had surgery.
The best part about everything was that Katy's anesthesiologist looked a lot like Marie. We told her that and she was so excited! I didn't point it out to Katy b/c I didn't want her to associate Marie with the surgery in case it hurt her. But I felt so comforted from it. Katy's "Rico purse" was also a huge hit in the recovery room. All the nurses loved it!
Right now the only bad part is eye drops every two hours. But considering how bad it could have been, I guess we're getting off really easy. Pretty much everyone else there waiting for surgery was in much worse shape than Katy...really disfigured or burned or deformed. We really were counting our blessings.
Hopefully I'll have time to post pictures soon.
We capped off the day with a trip to the zoo and she just loved it! We didn't get into town until 8pm and then had to wait around at the pharmacy so we're exhausted. Katy's favorite animals there were the new baby elephant and giraffe, and the jaguar...probably because Go Diego Go has a pet jaguar. My Dad met us at the zoo and we had such a great time. You would never guess Katy just had surgery.
The best part about everything was that Katy's anesthesiologist looked a lot like Marie. We told her that and she was so excited! I didn't point it out to Katy b/c I didn't want her to associate Marie with the surgery in case it hurt her. But I felt so comforted from it. Katy's "Rico purse" was also a huge hit in the recovery room. All the nurses loved it!
Right now the only bad part is eye drops every two hours. But considering how bad it could have been, I guess we're getting off really easy. Pretty much everyone else there waiting for surgery was in much worse shape than Katy...really disfigured or burned or deformed. We really were counting our blessings.
Hopefully I'll have time to post pictures soon.





2 Comments:
I"m so glad things went well! I think kids with glasses are just adorable so post pics asap!
I hope Katy likes to wear them! I feel a battle coming on!
Post a Comment
<< Home