Drumroll please....here is the report on Katy's eye:
Katy did great this morning! The best pediatric opthamologist is an hour and a half away, so we ended up going last night and staying in a hotel so we didn't have to drive this morning. We had to report for the procedure at 7:30am so we let Katy sleep in and brought her in her jammies (purple with dancing princess on them). She stole the hearts of all the nurses! Katy couldn't eat anything before the anesthesia so I was worried she would be sad. Nope! She was so busy playing with the nurses and Baby Allen and watching her Bambi dvd that she never once asked for food. Then Peter was able to carry her to almost the operating room, so there was only a half a minute where she didn't have one of us with her before the put her to sleep. And the best part is they used a gas instead of and IV. YAY! I was so sad about her getting hurt from those IV needles.
So, they dilated her eyes and brought her back after only 20 minutes. She slept for another 15 and then woke up like nothing happened. They even gave her coke coke (Sprite) and a teddy bear. They all wanted to take her home and said she looked like a sleeping doll!
The doctor came in and reported that Katy has a 3 milimeter cataract in her left eye and said it's definitely affecting her vision. Officially it's called a "posterior lenticonus cataract". He said the size is considered significant so I guess it's a big one. He also said it's not inherited, just something that happens sometimes. We still have to make Katy wear an eye patch over her good eye and now we also have to give her eye drops in the bad eye every 8 hours to dilate it. I guess that will help her to see past the cataract. Now we're waiting for a specialist out of Houston to give us an appointment for a surgery date. They will remove the cataract, and do a lens replacement of some kind. And Katy will have to wear glasses, probably for the rest of her life. When she gets older she can wear contacts, but they don't recommend contacts for kids.
I guess we're just glad that it wasn't worse news, even though I'm sad about the glasses. She has such big, beautiful brown eyes!! And I know kids at school can be so mean about anything that makes you different...like glasses or braces. We'll just have to trust the Lord to continue taking good care of Miss Katybird!
Allen also drew a lot of compliments this morning! Everyone who came in the room fussed over him. He had a rough day yesterday but today he's napping better and smiling more. In fact, both kids were napping in the car this afternoon and I needed stamps from the Post Office. I asked two ladies who were just walking out if they had any stamps and they didn't. BUT - they went in and purchased a book of stamps for me! It's very humbling getting help from total strangers but I'm so grateful for all the help I can get! Two crabby cranks in a double stroller would have echoed throughout the entire building.
Meg
Katy did great this morning! The best pediatric opthamologist is an hour and a half away, so we ended up going last night and staying in a hotel so we didn't have to drive this morning. We had to report for the procedure at 7:30am so we let Katy sleep in and brought her in her jammies (purple with dancing princess on them). She stole the hearts of all the nurses! Katy couldn't eat anything before the anesthesia so I was worried she would be sad. Nope! She was so busy playing with the nurses and Baby Allen and watching her Bambi dvd that she never once asked for food. Then Peter was able to carry her to almost the operating room, so there was only a half a minute where she didn't have one of us with her before the put her to sleep. And the best part is they used a gas instead of and IV. YAY! I was so sad about her getting hurt from those IV needles.
So, they dilated her eyes and brought her back after only 20 minutes. She slept for another 15 and then woke up like nothing happened. They even gave her coke coke (Sprite) and a teddy bear. They all wanted to take her home and said she looked like a sleeping doll!
The doctor came in and reported that Katy has a 3 milimeter cataract in her left eye and said it's definitely affecting her vision. Officially it's called a "posterior lenticonus cataract". He said the size is considered significant so I guess it's a big one. He also said it's not inherited, just something that happens sometimes. We still have to make Katy wear an eye patch over her good eye and now we also have to give her eye drops in the bad eye every 8 hours to dilate it. I guess that will help her to see past the cataract. Now we're waiting for a specialist out of Houston to give us an appointment for a surgery date. They will remove the cataract, and do a lens replacement of some kind. And Katy will have to wear glasses, probably for the rest of her life. When she gets older she can wear contacts, but they don't recommend contacts for kids.
I guess we're just glad that it wasn't worse news, even though I'm sad about the glasses. She has such big, beautiful brown eyes!! And I know kids at school can be so mean about anything that makes you different...like glasses or braces. We'll just have to trust the Lord to continue taking good care of Miss Katybird!
Allen also drew a lot of compliments this morning! Everyone who came in the room fussed over him. He had a rough day yesterday but today he's napping better and smiling more. In fact, both kids were napping in the car this afternoon and I needed stamps from the Post Office. I asked two ladies who were just walking out if they had any stamps and they didn't. BUT - they went in and purchased a book of stamps for me! It's very humbling getting help from total strangers but I'm so grateful for all the help I can get! Two crabby cranks in a double stroller would have echoed throughout the entire building.
Meg





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home